CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Last Day in New Mexico!

So we had one day left before we headed home so we were going to take it easy and prepare for the long drive. We decided to go to Old Town. Old Town is the original town square of Albequerque and has been around since the 1700's. The original chuch still stands and is still used today. The rest of the square has been left along but the buildings now house lots of shops. Not to mention the street vendors that come in from the different Indian Reservations. If you are patient and shop around you can definately find some great deals especially on jewelery! The kids liked the shopping, but the best part is the entertainment. I have been to Old Town so many times and seen Mariachi bands performing, but this trip was so much better. In one of the side areas Fabian and his wife Singing Sparrow were performing. Fabian is half Zuni and half Omaha, he was in full ceremonial attire and performed some tribal dances and chants. His wife in Cherokee and she writes and sings her songs. She performed one called Heritage and it was incredible. The kids were enthralled especailly since when they first saw him they thought he was a statue. Amanda argued with me right up until he came walking towards her. The look on her face was a classic big eyes and the "O" mouth! He talked to us for quite awhile and told us all about himself he even spoke in his Zuni language for the kids to hear. I could just kick myself that I didn't have a video camera with me to record it. It was so incredible and such an awesome language. I am adding the pics we have of him, but I don't know that they even do it justice. The entire back of him is Eagle feathers and he had a staff with a real Eagles head on the top and a fan made from the wing of an eagle. He said the headress was made from horse hair and he had a tail on the back on him also made from horse hair. I was telling the kids how special that was and that only Native American's were allowed to even own Eagle feathers and the fact that he had so many says how important he is in the tribe. They thought it was so Cool! I'm glad my kids are enjoying learning about all the different tribes and cultures in the world!


The arch that leads into Old Town! Well the side street of Old Town anyway!


We found sombreros in one of the stores! The kids thought they were great since when I first told them we were going to New Mexico they thought it was the same as Mexico!


Inside the church, it is beautiful!


Here the kids are outside the church with the sign that says it was estalished in 1706!


Here are the kids with Fabian! He was just so nice to them and meeting him was an incredible addition to an already awesome trip. The rest of the pics are him dancing and they definately don't do it justice. I think it is something you just have to see in person!





0 comments: